Type of site
|Created by||Jessica Valenti, Vanessa Valenti|
|Editor||Maya Dusenbery (Executive Director for Editorial)|
|Alexa rank||234,752 (Global June 2018)|
Purpose and audienceEdit
Sisters Vanessa and Jessica Valenti began Feministing in 2004 while working at the National Organization for Women's legal defense fund (now Legal Momentum), where Jessica felt that young feminists were being excluded from feminist discourse. She describes Feministing's purpose as "a way to get through the mommy filter" and make feminism more accessible to young women through giving an Internet presence for young feminists. Feministing covers topics ranging from outrage on measures to restrict reproductive rights or pay equity to irreverent or bemused coverage of pop culture and art, such as urinals shaped to look like vaginas. The writing on Feministing is not exclusively political, but also concerns feminist perspectives and observations from the staff's daily lives. Sex and sexuality are another frequent topic of discussion; it is sometimes cited as an Internet extension of the third-wave feminist movement. It is popular among young feminists. Feministing also has a comments section. Readers post (sometimes heated) comments on posts by the editorial board and post their own writing at their community portal.
As of September 2013, Feministing has three co-Executive Directors: Lori Adelman (Partnerships), Maya Dusenbery (Editorial), and Jos Truitt (Development). In 2015 Adelman was named as one of The Forward 50. Alexandra Brodsky is an editor and columnist. The other staff columnists are Chloe Angyal (Senior Columnist), Katie Halper, Syreeta McFadden, Sesali Bowen, Verónica Bayetti Flores, Juliana Britto Schwartz, Mychal Denzel Smith, Katherine Cross, Gwendolyn Beetham (Academic Feminist Columnist), Dana Bolger, and Suzanna Bobadilla (Interviews Columnist). The site is supported by advertisements but all of the writers have day jobs. Former Feministing staff include former editors Vanessa Valenti, Ann Friedman, Miriam Zoila Pérez, Courtney E. Martin, and Samhita Mukhopadhyay.
Retirement of Jessica ValentiEdit
Jessica Valenti retired from Feministing in 2011. In a statement issued on 2 February, Valenti announces her retirement arguing that her intention for the site was to provide a space for younger feminists outside the elite. Valenti states:
- "Today, almost 5,000 posts later, I'm a 32-year-old feminist with a voice that is listened to. Largely because of the work I've done with Feministing, I have a successful platform for my work – I've published books, written articles, and built a career as a speaker. Because I feel Feministing should remain a place for younger feminists to build their careers and platforms, I think it's appropriate to our mission that I step back." 
Jessica Valenti continues to respond to articles using the comments forum, and current Feministing writers frequently post links to other work by both Valenti and Friedman.
- "Feministing.com site info". Alexa. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- Jos Truitt (13 April 2016). "Happy 12th Birthday To Us!". Feministing. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- Kramer Bussel, Rachel (15 May 2006). "Jessica Valenti, Executive Editor and Founder, Feministing.com". interview. Gothamist.com. Archived from the original on 16 October 2008. Retrieved 28 January 2009.
- Traister, Rebecca (24 April 2007). "Tough titties". interview. Salon.com. Archived from the original on 10 February 2009. Retrieved 2 February 2009.
- Zerbisias, Antonia (25 June 2008). "What we need is a f-word revolution". article. Toronto Star. Retrieved 2 February 2009.
- Dominus, Susan (1 February 2008). "Feminists Find Unity Is Elusive". article. New York Times. Retrieved 28 January 2009.
- Rebecca, Traister (March 2008). "Activist Intelligence: Jessica Valenti". article. Elle Magazine. Retrieved 2 February 2009.
- Swamy, Shruti (2 February 2009). "Yes, We Can". article. India Currents. Archived from the original on 8 February 2009. Retrieved 4 February 2009.
- Hirshman, Linda (8 June 2008). "Looking to Future, Feminism Has to Focus". article. Washington Post. Retrieved 2 February 2009.
- Funk, Liz (12 October 2006). "Feministing: Feminist? Or Just -Ing?". Huffington Post. Retrieved 28 January 2009.
- Moskowitz, Gary (11 September 2006). "A Feminist Home on the Web". interview. AlterNet.org. Retrieved 2 February 2009.
- "Feministing names new Executive Directors!". Feministing. 17 September 2013.
- "Forward 50 2015 –". Forward.com. 7 November 2015. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "About". Feministing. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- "Meet Us". article. Feministing. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Farewell, Feministing!". Feministing.com. 2 February 2011. Retrieved 28 March 2011.